After 16 years, i bid farewell to...


Formula 1. The Canadian GP was the final nail in the coffin for what used to be my favorite professional motorsport. I can no longer sit back, hold my tongue & pretend that this bullshit is ok & its just the inevitable progression of  the sport. I can't see the point of pushing lap after lap, finally getting close enough to outbreak the driver ahead into say a tight right hairpin, just to have that position you fought so hard for become instantly stripped away because of DRS. With how close the field is in performance this year, it's not hard to stay within 1 second of the car ahead & use DRS. Pure F1 fans as myself know that's not racing. DRS is nothing but a ratings tool to silence certain "fans" that complained year after year that Formula 1 was boring & there wasn't enough passing... wow, i wonder if Americans had any influence on that decision.


5 comments:

  1. While I also dislike the system, I still enjoy the racing.

    I'll explain, but first let me clarify that I would much rather of liked for them to find a solution that dealt more with dealing with the airflow from the rear of the cars so that drivers could follow closely and not have tires wear off.

    In any case, since the system works only when within one second this is only allowing cars that CAN catch up to pass. That is to say, I disagree that cars get passed back so easily. Moreover, the system does not guarantee a pass anyway. It takes exceptionally long straightaways and specific tracks to do. And, if it is found that it's "too easy" to pass, usually those DRS zones are moved the next time the race is held (I've seen two tracks have that happen this season).

    Your theses I think is still correct. I think most everyone would rather do without the system, but I don't think your specific reasons hold much water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they do. Mika didn't need DRS to make that spectacular move at Spa on Schumacher in 2000 on Kemmel Straight, which is now a DRS zone, which is in a horrible location just like it is in Canada. Its not racing.

      Delete
  2. You right. I think they think in the european countries. They think we just like to watch overtakes. What they have got is drivers just waiting to overtake after the DRS signal is on.

    It never were needed the DRS before but as you said F1 become boring and technology on top teams is so close to find a gap on where to overtake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It never were needed to use DRS to overtake. Never before. But since as you said F1 become boring due to high technology on top teams and the lack of gaps to overtake between straight and straight.

    But what happend when turning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, in the corners is where man & machine are one. Aero grip, mechanical grip, & driver skill.

      Delete